Church of Christ the King (1927-31), Turner’s Cross, Cork
An exceptional example of twentieth-century architecture and the Art Deco style. The church was designed by F. [Francis] Barry Byrne (1883-1967) of Chicago and features a figure of Christ designed by the Chicago-born Paris-based sculptor John H. Storrs (1885-1956) and executed by John Maguire of Cork.
More about Church of Christ the King (1927-31), Turner’s Cross, Cork
A giant Doric column designed by Henry Aaron Baker (1753-1836) stands on the summit of a hill overlooking Kells and, with its viewing platform and glazed lantern, resembles a stranded lighthouse.
More about Tower of Lloyd, Kells, Meath
The Metal Man (1815-22), Sligo
A figure modelled on a "Jack Tar" stands on a podium between Rosses Point and Oyster Island and points to a safe channel into Sligo Harbour. The figure cast by Thomas Kirk (1781-1845) has a near identical twin which stands on a pillar overlooking Tramore Bay in County Waterford.
More about The Metal Man (1815-22), Sligo
Cliff Cottage, Cullenstown, Wexford
A thatched farmhouse which has become one of the most photographed landmarks on the south County Wexford coastline owing to the decorative shell work by Kevin L. Ffrench (1921-2003) which includes depictions of "The Mexico" and Tuskar Rock Lighthouse.
More about Cliff Cottage, Cullenstown, Wexford
Figure 1: 11 Parnell Square, Dublin, the earliest and, for a time, the largest house on the new street laid out by Luke Gardiner (c.1699-1755) and named Cavendish Street in honour of William Cavendish (1698-1755). The Abstract of Deeds Inrolled in Chancery (1840) records that the plot of ground was leaded by Richard Steele (1701-85) on the 14th